Friday, September 29, 2017

Social Media, Archives and the Lone Arranger

It's now 2017 and there are archives that have staff people dedicated to doing nothing but social media posts--blogs, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, livejournal, dreamwidth, SnapChat, blahblahblah.

I'm not a complete n00b about social media. I have accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, tumblr, dreamwidth and probably a couple of more places that I can't remember. But those are the ones for which I have apps on my phone. These days, if it's not on my phone it's out of mind. I don't understand Twitter, so I rarely check in there. Tumblr and Instagram are all about the photos; Facebook, eh, I'm not really interested in putting up one for the archives. Who would read it? For that matter, who reads this??

The bottom line is that as a lone-arranger who is in the office for 20 hours per week, I simply don't have the time to fool around with social media. My job, my archives exist to serve the college community. You want something, find me on the college's website (oh, and the archives webpages are two iterations behind the current website and there's no timeline for updating it because, well, the archives is just a very small cog in a much larger and squeakier wheel.) One day I suppose we'll get it into the new format.

So today, there are two students doing research for their capstone projects in history and political science; the guy from electric crew is in the back on the archives putting in new bulbs (because the light bulbs over my desk went out last week and he thought, while I'm here...); I'm supposed to be working on the biography of an athlete who will be inducted into our athletic hall of fame next week, finding aids and finding tapes for our sound lab. That's just in the four hours I'm working today, because I'm at the end of my weekly 20-hour contract.

Social media? Yeah, I get right on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment